View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #52
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: More on Aikido and the Floating Bridge of Heaven

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
As to "fears," I will refrain from all issues of personality. I declared myself only at the instigation of those concerned. I will further say only the following: As a martial tactic, many who doubt themselves are drawn out by such rhetoric as yours -- I do not take anything amiss at all by your use of such devices to do so -- this is my stock in trade after all -- and it is certainly fair game toward your goals.
Mischaracterization of other people's statements is your stock in trade?

As I said before, when I say "fear," I'm not talking about your personality.

That's just ego.

What I'm talking about doesn't even have "personality" so much as a integrated unit of mind, body and ki in operation. There's no need to attribute martial arts responses to "personality."

As I said, it's like your horse balks on the third jump or your car starts shaking at 74 MPH, or you have a leak under your kitchen sink. None of those things have anything to do with "personality." They simply show the results of the training you have undertaken. It can be fixed by training and it will not affect your "personality" at all, except to allow you to express your real personality more fully and easily. It's only ego that makes you equate my statements about your martial congruence as a comment on your "personality."

Where "personality" does come into play is in blaming others for what happens when your kind of training runs into "the real stuff," which is someone whose mind/body/ki have become so congruent through six-direction training (and more) that they have become almost a single, solid unit, almost crystalline in unified harmony. Can't touch that. Or you'll fall down because the frequencies resonating in that crystal shock your system and senses and you can't affect the other person at all.

It seems you can feel this from Dan, across the atmosphere of America, and, unlike the budo spirit of the black belt, you are driven away by it. At the same time, you're drawn to it on the internet and you clearly would like to be included among those with some internal power. Claiming that a teacher like Dan is dangerous and acting in accord with that, guarantees that you, yourself, will not enter that field, like a horse that won't make that particular jump.

Balking on approach is a technical matter that can be fixed through training.

Accusing someone of "being known to hurt people" is an ego trait that can well infect the personality. It is much harder to correct this with training because it lacks certain spiritual elements that are included in the training.

So please consider the difference.

Quote:
As for me, "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."
Really.

Quote:
OK. What results ?
Never mind.

Quote:
I know that the body is several series of connected chains of cylinders. This is obvious. I know and can feel the action of shear in the cylinders of my torso and limbs, and their segments. This is not obvious -- but can be learned. I know that the same principles of shear action that apply to the solid cylinder ALSO apply to the dynamic action of many objects in a chain. This is most certainly not obvious and takes some dwelling on to grasp -- but it is the fact of the matter.
Yes, I can see how your diagram applies in those terms, now.

And now it's clear that this is absolutely NOT the same as I have experienced through Dan, Ark and Rob. They're not ripping your limbs off or breaking you in half, though what they do does nicely facilitate the ability to do that.

To the main engine of what they are doing, your diagram does not apply.

Quote:
I know that this series of connected cylinders has connections that vary in flexibility or stiffness according to my mind and my reflexive physiology. I can feel, observe and deploy this variability to good effect. I know that reflexive action can be molded and modulated by training and become deployable rather than merely reactive action, and in ways that are not predictable. I feel the ways in which those forces and reflexes are deployed and I observe the effects that they have -- dynamically and in setting the potentials within the body.
That's called sensitive technique. It's not what Dan teaches.

Quote:
I gather that the most consequence to the teaching you advocate is in the role played by setting the potentials by mindful guidance in training. I have no doubt if you tell me it is effective. But whether it is more effective or not has never been a concern of mine -- my path is my path, not anyone else's -- nor mine theirs, necesarily.
Quite so, as unique as Graham's.

However, since you concede this, kindly...stop presenting your diagram as an "explanation" of what the IP/IS group is teaching, would you? If "their path" is not yours, what do you get by glomming onto that whole field of endeavor and claiming some kind of inclusion in it?

That's really strange.

Quote:
I won't declare what I know and do to be what anyone else knows or does. Some people seem to take offense. But since you seem genuinely to care, how would you propose that I show you what you would like to see? Seeing as I won't be in Birmingham soon (nor ever have been, FWIW). The Alabama cousins keep to themselves, mostly.
Erick...what offends me is attacking a man's reputation because you, yourself, lack the congruence to walk up and face him and learn the truth. That incongruence gets expressed as "fear" and the ego response has been "blame" of Dan. Your particular personality decided to express that by claiming that Dan has been known to hurt people.

Your problem is not in Alabama.

If you want to comment on Dan's ideas and posts, especially claiming to explain his abilities, then you need to prove that you can do what he does.

That's a tall order since Dan goes constantly all around the world meeting big people and experienced martial artists who cannot do what he does.

But at least have the decency to meet with him and find out for yourself what the real truth is.

David

Last edited by David Orange : 10-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com