View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
TomW
Dojo: Kodokan
Re: New blog from Allen Beebe "Back to Aiki..."

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
I hope this is taken the right way as a constructive clarification -- because the diagram in the blogpost is SO, so close --- but it's just off enough to maybe point people in a wrong direction. And that would be a shame because the rest is so very good.
Erick-

The diagram is accurate for the model described in the blog. The aiki body functions in this way.

It seems to me that what your model is describing is the functioning of a body using frame/lever/pulley system, which is how most people use theirs. The body uses large structural muscles in contracting tension to hold the frame (torso and legs) fairly rigid so we can use the levers and pulleys (limbs) to do stuff. This system is very susceptible to torsional shear and shear waves. This susceptibility is the foundation of judo/jujitsu and, when applied very subtly (ju), can appear very aiki-like. But it's not aiki.

I applaud your efforts at building a model to describe the functioning of a body, and the tenacity with which you apply it, but to attempt to speak as a subject mater authority on someone else's blog post is a bit presumptuous.

Best,
Tom

Tom Wharton

Kodokan Aikido - Puttin' the Harm in Harmony,