View Single Post
Old 08-21-2002, 04:07 AM   #11
MaylandL
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
...Relaxed cuts cut right through...

I think there's still a need for the proper intent and focus for the cut though. It seems that there is a balance between being too tense and not tense enough. I'm still learning the proper cutting technique.
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:

Lastly, I've heard that Yamaguchi sensei used to say that all aikido techniques should be done by the weight of one's arm.

I've heard something similar from a godan that visits one of the dojos that I train at. He has been doing aikido for 30 something years!

Back to the subject at hand, I'm not sure that the use of bokken and the associated suburi, awase(?) and kumitachi exercises are designed for strengthening the upper body. The dojo that I train at emphasises the use of bokken as a means of proper use of bokken/jo, teaching movement, miai(sp?), positioning, use and extension of ki. I stand corrected if other dojos also perform bokken exercises as a means to improve strength. I understand that there is a heavier style bokken that is used for training and this might be used to improve strength.

If aikidoka experience soreness, tenderness etc from bokken work it may be due to incorrect cutting technique and not necessarily lack of strength/stamina. I think there are more efficient and effective strength training such as weights.

Happy training all

Mayland