View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 07:04 PM   #23
makuchg

Dojo: FL Aikido Center
United_States
Re: Did the right thing?

Yes, you did the right thing. Proving you can fight is not what our training is all about. We train to keep ourselves and our loved ones free from physical harm. Seems to me like you did this using your mind rather than your hands. Good for you. It takes a bigger man to know you can win and not fight.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I was working long hours, I was deployed away from home and I lost my temper with another soldier. Fortunately, I regained my composure and walked away before it got physical. Several months later, this soldier showed up at one of my classes (I was teaching a very hard style of aikido, actually leaning more toward aiki-jujitsu). He watched the class as we went through Shionage and Kotegaeshi, over and over again. After class he asked me why I didn't fight him when we had our confrontation, knowing what I know. I looked at him and said I had lost our confrontation when I allowed it to happen. I lost control by allowing it to escalate to the point of almost physical confrontation. I explained that I train not to fight, but to know how to avoid fighting and in the event that is not possible to be able to eliminate my opponent quickly and effeciently.

He apologized for the confrontation as did I and he became a very devout student.

Just my thoughts and opinion, from Iraq...
Greg Makuch