Thread: Seiza weirdness
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 08:44 AM   #4
Arianah
Dojo: Aikido of Norwalk
I always had that, and sometimes still do when I'm tired. The problem you're having is probably that you're sitting with all your weight back and on your heels. Sitting in seiza isn't like sitting in an easy chair (this is what it feels like I'm doing when I shift my weight back), and when you just flop down, it puts a lot of stress on your ankles. Some say that you should never even let your butt touch your heels, firing your quads to keep enough space to slide a sheet of paper between. Personally, though, I can't isometrically contract my quads for a long period in this position, which doesn't exactly help with long sits. I started to play with the way I was shifting my weight, and it has really helped.

Try sitting seiza. You'll probably notice that all your weight is back on your ankles, and your knees may even float a little bit off the floor. Now start to shift your weight forward by tilting your torso slowly. Get the feel for what it feels like to have your weight completely forward, almost no pressure on your ankles, mostly on the shins. Then move back to the way you normally sit seiza, and shift your weight slowly until you feel a happy medium where your weight is balanced. You shouldn't look tilted forward or be off balance. Your torso will probably only move a couple inches before your weight is balanced. It does take some small effort to keep this up, but it shouldn't be hard work. I feel the same effort exerted in a backless chair. Try it out. Hope it helps.

Sarah

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
From discord, find harmony.
In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity.
-Albert Einstein