View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 06:04 AM   #48
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Realistic Tanto Training

Quote:
Alistair Williams wrote:
F
Another way to look at this issue is to focus on the way that nage is being attacked. I have trained with a few schools and it was a common theme that the uke would follow you through the technique.

This aggravates me more then any other MA issue. The way I view ukemi is not about rolling or following. It's purely about the attack. I am not focused on following or judging where I will roll or fall. The attack-that's it.

If technique is correct I will only be able to think about one thing. In a street situation, your attacker is not wondering how he will receive the technique that you use to defend yourself. He is only focused on the attack.

This can be illustrated in an amusing experiment one of my instructors undertook. A person was confronted by a signal attacker. Both uke and Nage were unaware of what would happen. The uke would attack with full intensity and a randori would follow. At some point a person wearing a bear suit would came into the dojo and back out dancing all the way. When randori finished, neither aikidoka recalled the dancing bear.

This sheds some light not only on the sense of humour of the instructor, but also on the focus of uke during an attack.
I have never experienced this. I find i'm well aware of what is going on around me even in the most intense sparing sessions. I think this is because usually i'm sparing in a room with a lot of other guys sparing, and if we are not aware, well it could get messy. Even in the ring, a strong fighter is aware of his attackers intent, body language, position, his position, relative distance and angle to your corner man, are your hands up? How is your foot work, where is he open, is he attacking in a pattern. It's not just "Let's throw this punch". I think if I get attacked on the street I will fight the same way. Because this is how I train day in and day out.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein