View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #72
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: The two body/mind concepts of Japanese Martial Arts.

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Hi Ron,

Be that as it may, that is all fine and good in a Karate context. However, Graham has implied that his view of Koshi is how it was taught to him as part of Tohei's teaching - all I am saying is that I have never heard of it being looked at that way from any of Tohei's stuff, or in any Aikido context at all. Since someone asked if any Ki Society folks have heard of Koshi that way, I responded

Greg
Wrong again Greg I'm afraid. It is not me who implied this, it is those who want to find fault, a usual pastime for some.

I said I was taught it and my teacher emphasised Toheis principles. He knew the connection with Koshi. How? Who knows.

He was also taught mainly by Noro Sensei and when the split came in England he chose the route of Ki developement rather than force. So the continual link to Tohei is misplaced unless he was in fact taught it by Tohei. All this however is irrelevent as I am stating it and thus you can either learn or dismiss. I am also giving you references for you to gain increased knowledge of Koshi and it's history.

Another factor of My teacher was he was very stern in his teaching and zen. So we have a teacher who was zen orientated and taught what he had learned from Tohei and Noro and as to who else I don't know.

Have fun.G.