Old 03-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #57
Gary David

United_States
Re: goals

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
Hi Gary:

I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

If uke does not follow, nage must relax more, extend more and lead more to make up for what uke is not providing.

Two centers become one though the process, we don't make it happen. We let Aikido happen.
I always regard uke when I am nage...it is my job to take care of uke.

When I feel uke's resistance, I again, relax more, blend more and give what uke lacks.
Mary
Thank you and Ron for explaining your approach, it is one I have touched on several times in my journey and was similar to the standard approach taken by the Tohei based organization we belonged to back in the day. I will have to say it was not exactly the primary approach used in our dojo.

My current view is find the attackers center, take it and then do something with it. What I am striving for now....using your original exercise with uke grabbing both wrists would be to move in using aiki age, the move so clean that uke does't feel it and is destabilized before even knowing it has happened. I have to relax and relax some more before even moving....there should not be a sense of any resistance beyond awareness. If I have to relax some more after registering resistance....then I have added tension to my own movements......maybe losing the others center or moving into a muscular resolution. anyway that is were I am trying to go. This has been done to me so I know it can happen...making it so is the hard part.

Have fun

Gary