View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: to ki or not to ki

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
... What is your qualitative experience of ki?
Form my point of view this question is crucial.

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I am not sure what you mean by your second question.
When I read your text I stumbled at your phrase: "I know that ki exists because I can feel it...I can also feel when people do not have it."
According to my understanding of ki, every person has ki all the time throughout ones life. Someone who has no ki is dead.
As a consequence it seems that our understanding of what ki is, is different?

You then qualified your understanding of ki:
"When a person has mind and body co-ordinated (has ki) ..."
According to my understanding a precondition of the coordination of body and mind, i.e. moving through yi (intent) is a state in which ki is freely flowing. For this you need to open up the body and to clear the blockages within the meridian system of the body.
My qualitative experience of this state and as a consequence [i]my[i] qualitative experience of ki can be described as a feeling of lightness, warmth, tingling. Things like that.
According to my understanding the free flow of ki and “feeling” it is not yet a certain quality of movement. And it does not yet mean a connected body. To move the body using yi/intent is certain quality of it’s own.

Christian Tissier used to formulate:
"Ki is within us. There is Ki everywhere, either we know how to use it or we don't. The fundamental issue with Ki is its flow. ...
... the technique will unlock the body! Once you have unlocked your body and removed all fears, the gesture will be fluid and this will allow more kokyu. If you add an intention to this kokyu, the Ki will naturally occur."

As a consequence in our aikidō we nearly never talk about ki. But we try to practice in a way that opens up the body, clears the blockages and allows the ki to flow naturally.

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 08-08-2013 at 02:07 AM.