View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 05:08 AM   #11
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States
Re: Poll: How helpful are verbal instructions in learning aikido for you?

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote:
However, I do try to explain what I can to my students because I know it can help. The problem often is, though, having learned it mostly by feel, such can be quite difficult to explain..
My sensei is not very chatty, so I suppose I have learned mostly through watching, feeling, and lotsa practice. nstead of talking, Sensei will just move you....and seniors are supposed to take the proper ukemi, really moving a beginner into the right place by her ukemi. We are also a very ukemi oriented dojo, so we don't try to sabotage nage all the time. I think this combination works well for most of us!

But when I'm working with a newbie and I need to be able to talk them through something, sometimes that is very difficult for me. Sometimes I have to have him attack me again, so I can watch MYSELF, so I can tell him how to do it. Last night was crosshand katatetori kotegaeshi, one of my favorite techniques and one I don't have to think about anymore. Well, last night I sure did! Miraculously, I was able to teach it to him, and he was doing really well! Woo hoo!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda