Thread: First day.
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: First day.

Quote:
Jack Simpson wrote:
As stated previously, it's the best to visit all the dojos first. Since it's only 3, take your time with it and do this, and be sure to take along a list of questions, if you don't already have them in mind. I know Peter and Penny Bernath at the Florida Aikikai and can highly recommend the dojo. However, the other two listed also are good traditional schools from the looks of the web pages (South Florida seems to be Iwama Ryu, and Miami Aikikai is Aikikai, USAF ER). But again, it's what's best for you (and the commute ).

Jack
Hi, Alex.

I guess you're down in Hollywood or Davie. Stephanie (Aikido of South Florida) is solid. I just had a couple of her students come into my class and they have a good foundation for training. She also brings over Pat Hendricks every year for a seminar around March and Hendricks is terrific.

I trained with Peter and Penny at Florida Aikikai for three years and I agree with what's written above. Beyond their own expertise, the dojo is filled with experienced people to train with. They sponsor several seminars a year; a big one in November with Yamada, Shibata, Sugano, and--until his death--Kanai. They also have an anual weekend seminar with a Canadian 6 DAN, Claude Berthiume that's excellent.

Elliot Rifkin and Gustavo Ramos at Miami Aikikai also run a solid dojo. I like them both and like training with them both.

I run classes three times a week up in Lauderdale, but the times are tough for most folk, 12-1:30 M-W-F. Should your work allow, you're most welcome. It's a beginners level class, save for the new addition of Stephanie's old students. Good luck.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/