Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
Matt Fisher
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States
Re: Shihan list

Peter,

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post

However, I have just looked at the ASU main website and it is certainly not at all clear. Perhaps the website has not been updated, but the title of shihan is used with some instructors (John Messores, Patty Saotome), but not with others, including William Gleason, who have the title of Sensei. The calendar for 2014 is clearly up to date, but I wonder about the titles.

I think the case of Hawaii and the ASU illustrates the point made by Christopher Li in the article referred to in his post (#4).
I can offer the perspective of someone who has been a member of ASU dojos for about 30 years...which doesn't guarantee that I have "the right answer"...

"Shihan" as a title seems to be used within ASU when an individual is promoted to 7th dan. So individuals like John Messores, Patty Saotome, and Dennis Hooker have been referred to as "shihans" since their recent promotions to 7th dan. Ikeda Sensei was promoted to 7th dan a number of years ago, and I think the same pattern was followed there...if I remember correctly, seminar notices started to refer to him as "Ikeda Shihan" after that promotion.

At least that's how it seems to be working to me...

Matt