View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #239
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
Accommodations for special situations are made all the time. People with bad knees don't do suwari-waza, people don't participate in certain kinds of vigorous training for various reasons (physical condition, youth, or age), people come late or leave early to accommodate their work schedules. Nobody blinks an eye as long as there is some kind of reasonable explanation. Is adhering to your religious beliefs (and these are well established religious beliefs from well established religions) really such an unreasonable explanation?

Best,

Chris
There is a difference between physical limitations and those imposed limitations we place upon ourselves by our beliefs.

Of course this does not mean one cannot accommodate such a request, etc. But the question then remains, why go somewhere which does not share the same values as yourself... this is where the true issues arise.

When you go into any particular milieu, your a guest of that, and then later you may fit into it... often people try to bring and impose their natural way of doing things into their new surroundings.

i.e., a big complaint I read constantly about people who live in Hawaii are about those who move from Cali over to the islands trying to make it be something other than what it is.

Its not that the guys/gals from mainland are worse off for their ideas, and probably have some good ideas at that, its the fact that they are new to the host place and automatically appear to be trying to adjust an established base to suit their will. [Not quite that harsh, but thats how its taken.]

So in short, it always has amazed me of the people going somewhere and then try to claim discrimination when they knowingly went into something culturally different then they are used to.

Personally, I feel we would do good to drop a lot of our notions we cling to... Im not saying either way what I would do as I dont know because Im not in that situation to see how things fit.

If I do open a dojo it would probably be word of mouth anyway and not a free for all... for me there would be the dynamic of who I would want to teach. Is that bad? It may sound snobbish, but at the same time I dont want to make the time for the number of people that typically come in and then leave after a month or so of Aikido... as well as peoples goals and aims, etc.

Things arent that cut and dry, really - it takes both parties to try to work together and understand each other.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
not that any of the above made sense, or reads like I wanted it to... but the essence is there somewhere. lol

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com