View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States
Rethinking the meaning of various phrases in light of "aiki"

In the stance of heaven and earth thread, I mentioned that when you have some exposure to aiki, or at least a foot in the door, your perception of various phrases and exercises begins to change.

For example:

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
or the whole "absolute non-resistance" thing. Some might take that to mean we get out of the way, we don't impede uke, but since starting on this type of training I've seen how I can remain stationary, not move out of the way or get off the line and let you collide with me, yet still maintain "absolute non-resistance" with the forces you are sending at me. Even better when they find themselves in ikkyo and I still haven't moved my body... I'm standing on that damned floating bridge... and I don't plan on getting off it any time soon.
Now setting aside newer translations of the founder, does anyone have any other insight into other common phrases after "their eyes were opened?" If one could provide a typical definition for the phrase along with their new reinterpretation, it may make for good conversation.

Lets try "non-resistance" for starters.