View Single Post
Old 09-22-2002, 02:28 PM   #94
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
Okay Chris, I think this has gotten out of hand. I am not going to 'call you' in November, nor am I going to step in the street and strap on six guns for some high noon crap. I teach Aikido in a Dojo which is respected and recognized. If you don't think much of my 'gender based descrimination' that is simply too bad. I don't know you or care what you think beyond the fact that one or two of your posts are clever. And you always seem to have something to say, don't you?

It's funny how when I travel around I go to dojo after dojo but never see a black man or woman on the mat. Accross the country maybe one or two. There's no descrimination, right? Just no black people. Chris, there is descrimination everywhere and the sad fact is that most people do not acknowledge it, understand it, or are even aware of it. If you ask those dojos without blacks if they 'descriminate' they will say no, of course not. It's just that the black people who come to watch a class just don't seem too comfortable. Is that it? They just don't seem to want to sign up?

Ever heard the word xenophobic? Let's see, the Japanese word for non-Japanese is, ummm, that's right, barbarian. No descrimination there.

This is not about women at all. It is about my choice to decide who will or will not train here. I am simply aware that women are not tough enough to cut it in this dojo and refuse to waste my time teaching someone who is going to be gone next month. I don't accept children under 21 or old men over 50. I don't accept people who are unemployed or without health insurance. I don't accept people who are grossly overweight or who complain about back problems the first time I meet them. There is a great long list of attributes that I consider each time someone requests to join this dojo and I 'descriminate' against PEOPLE for countless reasons.

I pick strong, intelligent, athletic, trustworthy, musical, artistic, loyal, helpful, friendly, sporting, courteous, kind, obediant, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverant men. I prefer that they be married, but it's not important if they impress me in other ways. For all intents and purposes, give me a SEAL Team or a platoon of Rangers and I'll be just fine. All others need not apply. And if they could do it without having this kind of hoodoo, most other instructors (married, non-cheating) would too. Believe it.

I am sure that ALL instructors have certain criteria for accepting students. Most simply require money. Some are more 'desriminating'. They prefer students to be clean. They like students to not have criminal records for multple murder. Whatever. I am proud of being very 'desrimnating' in my tastes. I come from an era when a man was complimented when someone said he is 'descriminating'.

One more time, last time. This is a hard school. Conditions are often brutal. Experience has taught me (the hard way) that certain types of people can't cut it here. I don't enjoy wasting my time. It is my choice and untill someone else starts paying my mortgage and electric bill it is no ones elses business but mine and the fine men who train with me.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com