View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #52
rdavid445
Dojo: Shobu Aiki Dojo - OKC, OK
United_States
Re: Inefficiencies in the Aikido Training Method

Quote:
Wayne Miller wrote: View Post
I guess I'll go ahead and throw my opinions into the ring.

In my experience, Aikido isn't something you would want to take into a UFC ring. Or any ring, for that matter. The basic, underlying precept is to resolve a conflict as peacefully as possible, with a minimum amount of damage to both parties. The way *most* devoted aikidoka would deal with a fight situation would be to walk away from it, if possible. Peaceful resolution of conflict, with no injury to either party. The exact opposite of the idea behind UFC, boxing, and similiar competitions.

The principles of Aikido are universal, and can be applied under any circumstances. Most of the applications, however, fall beyond the scope of competetive fighting such as boxing or UFC- primarily because the traditional way of winning said competitions is by doing enough damage that your opponent cannot continue to fight. Applying Aikido into such situations is a bit like putting a square peg into a round hole. Yes, you can try to force it in, and might even work sometimes, but it was designed with a different purpose in mind- dealing with an attacker without harming them, if possible.
I bet you that, if you trained the way UFC fighters did, you could at least have a shot in there. I believe Mr. Amdur wrote recently in an article that, in terms of combative skills, (paraphrasing) "Aikido would give you everything you need, as long you gave it everything you had."

If you trained 6-8 hours a day, against opponents who fought in ways you didn't (who possibly knew what the weaknesses of the way you fought were), plus weight training, cardio training, and intensive study of your opponents films and fights, then I think you could really give it a go. Yeah, you'd have to kick and punch, but I think there would be enough there to possibly be successful.

Last edited by rdavid445 : 09-04-2009 at 10:28 PM.