View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #108
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Ki to the Highway

Quote:
Matthew Story wrote: View Post
science will never know all things for sure - things change all the time - up unto a few years ago, medical science did not know that the fascia in the body was interconnected into one piece - today that is becoming evident and that is at the core of developing internal martial art skills.

Quote:
Not only is it not a guarantee, but popular sentiment has been wrong in the case of nearly every major scientific discovery in history. If popular sentiment had been right, there would have been nothing to discover. Popular sentiment, in short, provides no meaningful evidence for anything except popular sentiment.
You are looking at what I said from a history perspective - I made the original comment from the laws of probability perspective - keep in mind that in all myth, there is some basis of truth; things just get morphed over the years to suit changing needs.

Quote:
I understand that, but we are on opposite sides of an argument, right? In order for that to continue, each of us must be asserting that the other is wrong.
there is no argument here - I believe you believe there is no such thing as ki and all I am telling you are reasons why I believe there is.

Quote:
You don't think muscles can cause someone to feel they're changing direction? Other people's muscles change my direction in the dojo all the time. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.
never said muscle can't do that - you are looking at things from an external martial perspective of movement in technique; I am not - I am coming from the internal perspective of energy movement; which of course leads to physical movement, but I am not talking about that part of the process at this time.

Quote:
Citation needed
. no citation needed - it is pretty common knowledge within the internal MA circles that tensed muscles stop the flow of internal energies at that point.

Quote:
"How can your thought model control the other person's thoughts or will?"
I assumed that's what you were saying in the above sentence. Am I misunderstanding you?
yes, you are - I don't have a thought model - I have a ki model, and that is where the interchange of control take place at the ki step in my model - that is one area where ki provides an answer to me in my model that a model without ki does not - it you have a model that can do that, I am all ears.

Quote:
Non-belief doesn't need evidence. I have no evidence that there isn't a ghost named Norman flying around putting ideas into people's heads, but I choose not to believe in Norman because of the absence of evidence. It is up to the Normanist to prove that Norman does exist; it's not up to me to prove that he doesn't.

Again, this discussion dies unless you're asserting that I'm wrong. Are you or aren't you? If not, then there's no point in continuing. If so, then back to that burden of proof.
I am not saying you are wrong in the fact that you do not believe ki exist - all I am saying is that I do and giving you some reasons as to why - as I said, no argument here

Quote:
We certainly do change as we learn, and I do like to keep an open mind. But let me ask you this: have you ever heard of anyone "discovering" ki, that is, coming to believe in ki on their own without being taught about ki by an instructor? I think the answer to that question is a clue to the likelihood that I'll ever have such an experience.
Yes, the first person that came up with it

Greg