View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #6
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: Aiki Extensions

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
I think it's fairly obvious what they mean from their materials...
Hm, I can see what they do and I had a long conversation with one person of the advisory council, one year ago, not knowing he belongs to "aiki extensions". It was very, very interesting indeed.

I will try to concrete my question:

First aiki is merely a technical concept to control ones own ki and to control the ki of an attacker.Be it to focus ones ki and / or to blend with the ki of the opponent.
It is just a method used in some budo or bujutsu like aikido or daito ryu. Even in koryu like katori shinto ryu you find elements of it.
And using this method can hurt people or even kill.
Aiki taken by itself is neither good nor evil.

O Sensei filled this technical concept with his religous belief. His understanding of harmony, peace and so on is that of Shinto/Oomotkyo.
Others fill aiki with Zen like Shimizu Sensei, with Daoism like Endo Sensei or with an understanding of ki taken from Tempukai. I myself fill it with my Christian belief.
So the method of aiki is filled or interpreted by the philosophy or religous beliefs of the practioners.

But here it seems to be the other way round: What I read on the Homepage you linked, sounds nearly "religious". As if aiki taken by itself has some themes, contents or a "philosophy" ...
As if aiki taken by itself is "good".

On the Homepage I read:
"Aiki is the core of Aikido. It is a practical philosophy of harmony and cooperative action. It consists of principles and methods of self-awareness, calmness under pressure, compassionate power, and respectful engagement with others."

So my concretion:

Where are the principles, here called principles of aiki, taken from?

Greetings,
Carsten

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 06-12-2009 at 01:52 AM.