View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #17
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: ?? Exaggeration in Aikido ??

Quote:
Roy Leclair wrote:
do you think that the general Aikido population would stand a chance against a sumo, or even a much bigger person or group?
Depends on what you mean by "chance."

If you mean chance of survival or chance of not taking a pounding, I think Aikidoka stand a better chance of escaping unharmed than the average person or the average MAist. I believe because we train to move from day one...as another poster said, move away or out of the way.

If you mean chance of survival as in "would the Aikidoka win a match/fight/life-death battle?" I'd say that that's a real difficult question. Although you can develop some ideas about what average is, I don't think you really do justice to anyone, or the art for that matter, by doing it--I mean, what techniques against what types of energy is the average Aikidoka able to pull off? Is the average Aikidoka cool under the threat of real life injury? What kind of shape is the average Aikidoka in?--I don't think you can really answer the question validly.

I can say this with confidence (even if it's false), I think the average Aikidoka stands a better chance in any situation (upright) because we train to move.

Also, because of my Aikido training (maybe more false confidence), I'm not worried about bigger people or groups.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to weasel out of the question. It's just the only thing I can come up with.