View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #34
Buck
United_States
Re: Did O-Sensei Misinterpret the Meaning of "Budo"?

Maybe the answer is O'Sensei didn't misinterpret, rather defined a type. Maybe it is kind of like cooking where recognized chefs add their own style to a standard dish. Oh, say Chicken soup, for the example. The basic ingredients are the same, you start with a chicken broth and pasta, with chicken. What makes it good is how you make the broth, add the spices, and how you make the pasta, and prepare the chicken, and finally add other stuff like celery etc. The stuff you make the soup with isn't what makes the soup it is how you put it all together to make it your own dish.

I think this is really a difficult question. For one is it possible to nail down an exact definition of Budo that is universal, like chicken soup broth? Two, how is it defined what is properly interpreted and what isn't in terms of Budo. Three, what is the standard of budo that we measure everything else by?

Budo is a term I see used in so many ways, from karate schools, mcdojo's. I am not sure how the Japanese really use it or intended it to be used Like, is it a broadsweeping term, an abstract, a catch-all, I don't know? And has the meaning change through the years, did Budo mean something different when it was first used, then what it means today?

Ya, know, I don't know if he did misinterpret the meaning, he could have, it is possible. Personally, I would like to read more in detail from those experts on this. Then I would ask does it matter if he did. I say this cause I don't know what then is the affect upon Aikido.

I guess it all means then what is Aikido then if it isn't a budo?