View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada
Re: Aikido maneuver manual

My, you're quite the keener eh?

There's a few books published by several high profile masters (Gozo Shioda, the Ueshiba clan, Koichi Tohei, Kenji Tomiki, etc), I'm in Yoshinkan and so the beginner's course and the master's course books are great, since they explain the 150 basic techniques and the advance variations and secret teachings well, with photos of the movements in detail. It's no substitute for training, but it's great as a self-improvement aid. Another one that would benefit all styles of Aikido is Dynamic Aikido and Total Aikido.

Now, I know that Ki Society and Aikikai has books, but I'm not too sure about Shodokan or Iwama-ryu. You can check online catalogues of several bookstores like Indigo Chapters and see. They will usually have Aikido in the name so it should be relatively easy.

You can also use youtube. There's instructional videos online for several techniques. Many schools also publish their own videos online for their students and the general public. Aikido as a style is actually very open about teaching their techniques. I know several schools of martial arts that is totally closed to non-students, and does not allow their students to train in public. This is real bad for growth, as it will make your art less and less well known. You should take advantage of Aikido's openness and search everywhere. There's stuff all over the place.