View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #81
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Sumo: light vs heavy and IS?

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
What is he describing? Imagine it's what you guys call Aiki. Imagine it's what I call Aiki. Imagine he's describing NASCAR driving.

He could be talking about anything that involves mind body and technique. I don't think he's talking about NASCAR, but depending on who's reading it- that little clip you put up- it could be anything.

Also sounds like good advice. But what's he talking about, maybe learning fly fishing, or Japanese carpentry. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but really, out of context, you can read anything anyway.

I know you are a scholar, and I believe you can add much to this debate, but you have to understand the limitations of what written word is. Even if we all spoke the same language, things can be read many different ways. People miss understand me all the time, and we speak the same language, live in the same country, at the same time, are of the same culture, and they know me on a personal level. Language is so complex, it's never black and white.
Of course, you can read the context, which is provided - I was just pointing out what I was talking about.

In any case, I think that you're missing my point. My point was that Tada is pointing out the necessity of progressing through a concrete, clearly defined method.

That doesn't mean that Tada is limiting what he's doing purely to the technical side.

Dan, IMO, is doing something quite similar, stressing the need for a concrete method. That doesn't mean that he's saying there's no crossover to the spiritual side or that he thinks that is unimportant.

But without the base there's nothing to build on.

Best,

Chris