View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #70
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Defending Against Grappler Using Aikido

William P wrote:

Quote:
I also disagree that the techniques can't be effectively tweaked on the fly. If the MMAer is in fear of his life and sees the opportunity for an eye gouge, to rip an ear off, a bite, he may decide to use these tools even though he hasn't been training that way in class. Why would the aikidoka be any different?
THey wouldn't be any different. That is the issue. IMO, it requires little or no skill to implement these tools (eye gouges, bittling, punching). NOt that there is not skill in punching...but the skill comes not from the arm moving back and forth, but from the body position and dynamic. As Dan would say...if you do it with aiki...well...

That is the point the guy that has better skills at positional dominance and control of his AND your body, is the one who has better access to these "tools" AND will more than likely win (unless the other guy has a buddy, gun, knife or some other thing to tilt the equation).

Quote:
I agree that the lack of opportunities to train with realistic attacks is frustrating. However, I see attempting to practice technique against every type of realistic attack you might encounter as at least as unrealistic as what is practiced at large. How the person attacks is ultimately out of my hands, therefore, I try to focus on what I have control over: my posture, alignment, extension, to name a few
Might be semantics, but I see this as fatalistic really. You had better have control over your opponents posture, alignment, and all that if you expect to come out on top. I know that all the various self help books (which I love) talk about "the only thing you can really control is you"...however, in a fight, you'd had better be controlling more the YOU if YOU expect to survive.