Thread: yawara
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 AM   #12
aikidude1972
Norway
Re: yawara

[I apologize in advance for a not perfect English! ]

This is the perfect thread for my question to you, guys (my first post here too!!).

We are starting a very new Aikido dojo in Stavanger (west coast of Norway) and we were thinking about a proper name for the kind of spirit and Aikido both the other instructor and me will try to teach and practice.

The other instructor has a long past in judo and Tomiki Aikido, even if now the dojo will be Aikikai. But he is really fond of the concept of "yawara"..

I am the one more interested in Japanese language, so I tried to "create" a name for the dojo that would in a way reflect this concept, and I thought of:
JU SHIN KAN
with JU, yawara, (soft, flexible) kanji and SHIN, kokoro, (heart) kanji, KAN as in school..

When I googled the name quite a few judo and jujitsu clubs pop up with similar or same name.

And now come the questions: should we be concerned about this? Do you think it sounds bad Jushinkan Aikido? Do you think it is too close to Yoshinkan (for Western people!!! Not Japanese!), since it is an Aikikai club?

As you may notice, it is the first time for me to start a dojo almost from scratch and maybe I am thinking too much about irrelevant details.. but since I thought about JU SHIN KAN, I feel it reflects the kind of Aikido I love and my favorite instructors practice..

Sorry I wrote so much.. I hope to hear some replies from you, more experienced people!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Andrea Raviglione, lover!