View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Masakatsu Agatsu

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
I am familiar with the tariki and jiriki as Buddhist terms.  Tariki is usually translated as "other power," and jiriki as "self power." The general idea is that some schools of Buddhism advocate seeking enlightenment via self discipline.  Whereas some other schools of Buddhism advocate seeking enlightenment via the "saving grace" of a Buddha.  The jiriki schools tend towards meditation, insight, and proper (expedient) action practices.  The tariki schools tend to rely (due to the seemingly limitless limitations of humans) on "grace" or power beyond themselves.  The esoteric tradition, of which Ueshiba strongly was influenced as evidenced by his explications (Takemusu Aiki being a prominent example),reconciles both of these views. Paradoxically, Jiriki (self power) is required to avail one's "self" of tariki (other power).  Tariki (other power) is required for one's "self" to have jiriki.  

Trying to come up with a quick analogy: Say I fall out of an airborne airplane.  I can try through self power to try to get back to the plane but, with nothing to rely upon but my "self," my "self" efforts will be doomed to failure.  However, from the plane descends a rope attached to a winch. The rope is there for me to grab and it WILL pull me back to salvation (Tariki).  Nevertheless, I MUST grab the rope for salvation to become manifest (jiriki). Self-power is required to let go of the limited power of the "self" (my flailing about in free fall singing 'My Way'). Other power is the ever present opportunity of (the reaching out of) salvation (thusness) due to its Omni presence.

Wow. This is an aspect of Buddhism I've never encountered. And a great explanation of it.

I think this is the kind of thing Jun created aikiweb for.

Reading this was really a worthy use of my time.

Thanks.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com