View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
RED
United_States
Re: Looking for first hakama - help, please!

Quote:
Anita Dacanay wrote: View Post
Thanks for the input, ladies. I guess I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for the first one; neither do I want one that is such poor quality that I hate it.

Maggie - I was looking at that tetron one at e-bogu last week and thought it looked pretty good. Our dojo is like a sauna in the summer, so maybe on the lighter side is not a bad idea. Also the stitched pleats might be helpful, since it may take me a while to get good at folding it. Do you think it's worth the extra $28 to get the budogu version instead?

Thanks for the input on sizing! I was wondering if I should size up to accommodate my shape. Sounds like I should be okay just going by height/waist.
I just wouldn't spend a lot of money on your first hakama in general.
The budogu one is really nice though, it is worth what it costs.
Most people like to buy a nicer one at black belt. My first hakama is from ebogu, it is falling apart at the stitches right now. I mean it isn't as nicely made, but it does the job.

Yeah, don't ever adjust the size for your waist. For your height only. They are pretty wide, and you can tie them to fit your waist. If your waist is over 38 inches and you are female, consider buying it with an extended tie. But I got a 30 inch waist and am the same height as you and I wear a size 10 dress, and the standard length ties are fine. I ordered a 23 and it was cool.

Last edited by RED : 06-14-2010 at 03:03 PM.

MM