View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #48
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Aikikai Kagami Biraki Promotions

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
I have a long list.

Anyway, it's not about fraud, but about value and relationships. In the past much of the value was in the relationship.

Shihan X trained at Aikikai Hombu and feels a personal obligation to support them. He pays up.

Bob, who trains with Shihan X, has no particular personal relationship with Aikikai Hombu, but pays up because his teacher pays up.

Bill, who trains with Bob, has no particular personal relationship with Aikikai Hombu, his teacher Bob has no particular personal relationship with Aikikai Hombu, but pays up because his Shihan X pays up.

Bruce, who trains with Bill, has no particular personal relationship with Aikikai Hombu, his teacher Bill has no particular personal relationship with Aikikai Hombu, , Bill's teacher Bob has no particular personal relationship with Aikikai Hombu, but Bruce pays up because...why?

This is the point that we're getting to now in the history of Aikido. Most people have never been to Hombu and have no personal relationships there. They send in money and get (by mail) a piece of paper from someone who has never met them and doesn't know who they are.

If you put all of the sixth dans in the world in a room, my bet would be that Doshu would only recognize a small fraction, let alone know their names.

When Bruce walks out because he has no personal relationship with the Aikikai and receives little value, it hurts him...very little. Most new students have no idea what the Aikikai and care less.

But it's a problem for the Aikikai, and one that's going to be harder to fix the longer things go on....

Best,

Chris
Dear Chris,
Your article is imo almost spot on.The transmission of Aikido in my mind is one where there is a direct bond with Teacher and student.Its nigh impossible for most to have a real strong relationship with a person,a society or organisation or even a country when both parties rarely if ever get much of a chance to get to know one and other .Maybe its the same between the U.S. President /our Prime Minister and the people.We se these guys on T.V/Newspapers but can we really say we know them?
I suppose you can make a case for the Aikikai Foundation/Hombu inasmuch it is the mother dojo.It is a focal point .Nevertheless for the average guy in the street I do not think the Aikikai is foremost in his /her thoughts.Time will tell whether the Aikido community /Hombu adapts to the current situation,eg the multiplicity of new groups forming etc.
Cheers, Joe.