View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
crbateman

Re: What Should I Ask as a Newbie?

Kevin, don't worry too much about the soreness. It's normal when you start, but particularly in younger people, will tend to lessen or disappear once your bodies get used to the shocks you are absorbing, and your rolls and other techniques get better.

As for books, look for anything by Stan Pranin, John Stevens, Bill Gleason, Ellis Amdur, or Thomas Crum for historical and philosophical content. Other specific titles to read for these aspects are "Remembering O'Sensei", "Aikido Shugyo", "A Life in Aikido" and "Aikido: Yurusu Budo", to name a few...

Also, don't forget to read everything published by the leader of your own organization, Mitsugi Saotome Shihan. This man is a living legend in his own right, the last uchideshi of O'Sensei, and personally responsible for the lifelong training of some of the finest teachers I have ever met, such as Hiroshi Ikeda, Dennis Hooker, George Ledyard, and your own John Messores, among others.

Beyond that, there is a whole library of other very fine books, although many lean more to the technical side than the historical or philosophical. You can see pictures, summaries, and many reviews in the Bibliography section at aikidojournal.com. There are new books coming out almost every month, and if you're a reader, there will always be something for you to latch onto.

But the best advice I can give is to gobble up the experiences ahead of you in the dojo. It will have its ups and downs, but there will always be energy, fellowship and positive vibes to be absorbed (with the caveat that you yourselves need to pay it forward to those who follow you along the way). It's about the journey, so relax and enjoy the ride.