View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #23
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Organizations- How important are they to you?

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd agree with this. What I have found is that within a certain community (including the majority of people who practice aikido as part of a major organization, as many people on this and other aikido forums do), those who are not part of a major organization are immediately suspect and it is often considered acceptable to insult and ridicule them for their offenses, whether perceived or real. On the other hand, people who are part of a major organization, and especially those who are higher up in such organizations, are automatically considered legitimate and are usually afforded the benefit of the doubt. Instead of subjecting them to criticism, any errors that they appear to be making are rationalized in various ways to make those errors seem unimportant or irrelevant, and those who do dare to engage in any criticism of them are the ones more likely to be attacked for being "disrespectful".
Actually, the only thing I disagree with here is the idea that it is often acceptable to insult any organisation, big or small. Apart from that, I fully agree that for some people, not being in a major organisation is regarded with suspicion. That was the point I was trying to make in the first place. Of course the reverse exists too with people within small organisations claiming the larger ones don't offer the real deal. In either case, the smarter people confirm or dispel their suspicions. Regarding the reality of the situation, if big organisations were to have poor standards, it would be more beneficial to help them out rather than just making generalisations and trying to discredit them. Aikido is not a competition and if a small body truly has more to offer, surely they should endeavour to share it with all of us?

Quote:
Avery Jenkins wrote: View Post
In the same way, aikido has developed many branches, because it serves many needs.
Nice point. I'd add that trees are nourished from both roots and branches.