View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #128
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States
Re: Is two Days a week enough?

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I would say that both of you are making a logical fallacy, equating loving the art or feeling committed to it to claiming "my aikido is as good as your's." I never said the latter. I have said up front that I am not a professional aikidoka. But as Mary has pointed out, neither of you are in a position to second guess our hearts, our motives, or, yeah, or level of committment to the art.
I am trying to point out your logical fallacy. I made the comparison on purpose because it was so ridiculous that even someone who skimmed it would be able to understand how flawed it was. I starting off saying, "using THAT logic..." to denote that it was the logic that I perceived you to be using. The one that you continue to use... The arrangement is one for I feel this way even though I am giving every possible physical indication that I do not. I love it even though I only spend 2 to 3 hours a week with it. This would not make a convincing argument if we were referencing a relationship with a child, wife, or any kind of lifelong commitment, why should it fly with Aikido?

The average American spends 5.5 hours a week showering, 18.2 hours watching TV, and 2.349 hours shaving. If you spend 2 to 3 hours a week training in Aikido, you could make a stronger argument that you are a nudist, couch potato, or barber than an Aikidoka.