Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Seiichi Sugano Sensei Passes Away

Quote:
AikiWeb System wrote: View Post
Posted 2010-08-30 08:13:20 by Jun Akiyama

If people wish to share stories about Sugano sensei, please share them in the thread below in his memory.
Well, I did meet Sugano Sensei once, when he did a seminar in Birmingham, at Gregg Faulkner's invitation.

Sugano Sensei was nice and calm and he invited me to take ukemi for him a few times. I remember his technique as very smooth and nice, but very effective and I never felt I could avoid or stop anything he did. He did some throws with the jo, too, that were very clean and smooth and it was fun to be thrown by him.

I remember that he criticized my ukemi because it was based on judo ukemi, having come through Mochizuki Sensei. I don't recall if he said that kind of ukemi could lead to injury or if he was talking about judo leading to injury, but he said that injuries we get in youth will come back to haunt us in old age.

I do believe that he meant well and he illustrated well that his aikido was intended for all people to practice safely together and improve together.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that Sugano Sensei struck me as a real gentleman and I enjoyed taking ukemi for him and talking with him. I remember that he had a very gentle face and eyes and I got the sense that he was really sincere and wanted to help people, including me, even though I was not remotely in his line of aikido. He was very handsome and cultured without being the least overbearing or arrogant. Aikido has lost a great representative in him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all those who loved him.

In gassho.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com