View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
Mario Tobias
Philippines
Re: In a quandary

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Do you have a question?

To ask a question of you, if you believe that aikido doesn't represent "reality", why do you want anything to do with it?

Reality is direct experience. It is what's actually happening to you now. It isn't fantasies about hypothetical encounters with stereotypical attackers.
Hi,

Thanks for your response. The reality is there are really bad people out there as what Michael said. I used to live in a 3rd world country, accustomed to those conditions and have had my share of scary encounters.

Once I have tried to be mugged by a gangster. Another instance, a near altercation would have ensued because of a petty issue I didn't start. (You'd be surprised at how little it takes to rile up people and you don't even know what you did wrong). But both instances I have avoided direct physical confrontation. I can't remember how I did it but it involved a lot of dialogue, assertiveness, alertness and body language. (I was pissing in my pants later). My sister and her friend got attacked by a knife wielding man. They both escaped but her friend got slashes on her arms from parrying. There are many more examples but direct or indirect encounters, these are some of the situations you'd wonder what if you had no choice but to confront.

True, the mind will give you challenges. Possibility can definitely turn into reality.