View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #74
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: I'm Leaving Aikido

Cool, you guys covered it pretty well. Roman, I thought that is what you studied..Run Fu Ryu? Just kidding with you, I know you well enough from here to know you know better! Didn't mean to imply otherwise! I just used it as a talking point as running is brought up alot it seems as an option, and it is probably about as good advice as you can give anyone (or escape and evasion as it was more aptly put).

Anyway, most of you guys covered this pretty darn well....

I'd say that for rote self defense, RBSD, or Bouncer training that aikido methodology is about as inefficient of a delivery mechanism as going to a plumber as Larry put it!

However, (big however), you are concerned with a deeper study of the spectrum of force, dealing with it more skillfully, etc, refining your abilities...then I'd say it is worthwile...hence why we have a fair number of police officers involved I think.

it might be therapy for some of these guys, but I think for many it is a way that they can work through at a deeper level the spectrum of things.

I find the methodology useful in my part profession, (training military soldiers in Combatives), I'd never mention aikido nor would I attempt to use the methodology to train them directly, as it is as I put, a ineffficient system for delivering the skills they need in the time they have to spend with me.

It is a good practice for me to learn the subtleness of applications and stuff like that.

You could equate it to taking courses on Organic Chemistry to become a wine maker.

Certainly you don't need Org Chem to make wine, all you do is ferment so grapes. If this is your goal, then why waste your time getting an enology or biochem degree???

However, if you are interested is cause and effect, making the best when possible or explaining why things are the way they are....well you need to delve a little deeper into winemaking!

I think aikido and internal martial arts, in general fall into that category.

I can teach someone to be fairly proficient in beating people up....that is easy, even teach them in fairly short order to defend themselves with minimal damage in most situations.

For many though, and I put myself and many that are here in this same category....There is much more to "the down and dirty".

We are professionals that have taken an oath in some fashion to be the best we can be....Aikido, Budo...is for this....

It is about the Craft...not the delivery nor the tools.

It was interesting living in Germany for the last few years. I noticed that in many cases there are still artisians in the old country, woodworkers, master craftsmen, and those that serve long apprentistships to become skilled experts in their trade.

I am not so sure this happens so much in the U.S these days. Most people learn enough to get by, and it serves them well long enough to make enough to survive or retire.

Seems like those that do follow the path of mastery or art are almost looked upon as "geeks", "weirdos" or what not.

Why is that???