Thread: Nihonjinron
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
Buck
United_States
Re: Nihonjinron

Gregory's blog thingy tone doesn't look favorably on Nihonjinron. I have experienced some of us who like Gregory where the apple of their eye is Japan and the Japanese people. But when they run into all the different shades resulting from Nihonjinron, therefore, realizing their love is not returned by the Japanese get a little scorned. Rejection is hard and cold slap in the face to deal with when all you seen was beautiful cherry blossoms, and images of gracious O'Sensei and Mister Miyagi archetypal like senseis. When that "two face" moment happens people direct their dissatisfaction with the Japanese to those who will listen.

Usually, their feelings of dissatisfaction don't put the Japanese in a good light, yet the underpinnings of which the speak is a hope for the rekindling of the love affair. I think Gregory does just that in his blog thingy. I don't think this type of thing is very fair and is one-sided. He and others when they bring it up look at Nihonjinron as a negative thingy from their point of view. But that isn't the only view though the most heard.

Doesn't Nihonjinron have any good stuff connected to it? I say yea. not too many things are one sided. I am not a sociologist or psychologist type, and I haven't read every Nihonjinron ever written, or allot of it. But from where I sit, it seems to motivate and inspire toward a nation bonding closer together to new standards set, and maybe give better focus toward a direction in the modern world, and keep a nation from colasping in that way. And that kind of stuff. So many nations have a similar notion that parallels Nihonjinron. Some nations us it negatively end up in isolation fighting against the world, or positively and compete on a global scale as a 1st world nation.

Is Nihonjinron all that bad, I don't think so. I feel I am an open minded realistic individual who looks at both sides of the coin. I understand those apple of their eye has gone sour. But, that is a band wagon I am not on. I feel each nation, each culture is unique and they have to be respected. If not, then the bear you think is your buddy will end up eating you. And what right do I have to change them? If they don't want to think their poopie doesn't smell, then who am I to change that? And why would I? I don't have a licence to hold up a mirror to them. And again Matthew 7:3-5 does speak a truth.

I am not that involved into the Japanese or Japan where Nihonjinron effects my view of them, my training or matters to me. I would say I am respectful of what they call theirs and what I call mine. And if what they do (Aikido, cars etc ) is prime grade or not then I recognized it as such. It's like I drive a Japanese made car. I choose the Japanese car over American or Korean built models because the Japanese car is a better vehicle than American or Korean made. And so, because of that I am not going to mess with the Japanese car. I am not going to replace its parts with American parts when required- I replaced the old one hundred and ninety thousand mile engine with a used engine from Japan; all some years ago. I call it as I see it. All and all, I am not for or against Nihonjinron, it is what it is. It is part of dealing with and understanding the Japanese in a realistic -warts and all - light.