View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #145
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: Aikido training - Why are you searching for internal strength?

This thread is very popular, and I noticed that something that sparked my interest was picked up again, so I feel the need to
comment. It is, "the floating bridge."

Now it will take me quite some time to read Peter Goldsbury's fascinating explanations of Kojiki, which contain what would be called in anthropology the Japanese creation myths.

I don't have a copy of Sugano Sensei's DVD "between heaven and
earth" but when I can responsibly spend family money to buy it, (I guess even if we don't have a DVD player we could use the regular computer for it)

I think it will be of interest to see what he has to say about the
floating bridge if that is indeed what the title means. I have heard
Aikido described as Ame no Ukihashi, no doubt one of the other direct deshi who said this heard it from O Sensei himself

Anyway, I saw Demetrio's comment way back when balance had been brought up in the thread and used it simply to motivate myself to post a simple comment on my own need to learn to train for better balance. Francis on this month's column validated my concern with attending to whatever physical limitations one may have in order to train and learn further....

Fire and water, someone mentioned. Waiting for the well repair technicians, we have been using water my brothers brought and some from the roof which we collect under the drainpipe and bottle in milk and water containers to save for daily needs. And constantly bringing in firewood to save on fuel and electric costs.

Then my husband mentioned that the snow from the logs had melted onto the hearth and since I insisted on re using hand paper towels would I please go mop it up with some of them.....

Sometimes I wonder about "lessons from nature"....and then
there are those wonderful people who post about the beauty of winter. It warms my heart.

But Demetrio, help me out here. What did you mean by your statement, now that I have given what it means to me?