Thread: Hakama Colors
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2002, 11:27 PM   #24
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Re: Re: Hakama History/Tradition

Hi Edward;

Well Chuck did say maybe. As far as I understand it the term Aikido was meant to cover a type of Budo separate and distinct from exsisting forms such as Judo, Kendo, etc. That at least was the intent of the DAI NIHON BUTOKUKAI which was the arbitrator of such things. And here of course was the rub. The Ueshiba family prefer to think that the term was specifically created for the unique Aikido developed by Ueshiba M. whereas there is quite a bit of precedence of several other jujutsu forms which don't quite fit into the Judo category because of their "Aiki" nature having equal claim to the name.

Daito Ryu sure does and you can find several groups of same which use Aikido in their name.

Korindo Aikido being another I suppose.

Please remember at the time the size of Ueshiba M.'s organization was really not that large is was really only with the efforts of his son, post WWII that it really took off. Definately not the size and prestige that would have a National Organization create a whole new class specifically for.

Anyway, I think it is pretty clear though that Ueshiba M. did not coin the name so much as agree to it. Personally I think Aikido should be reserved for the students of Ueshiba M. and therefore Daito Ryu and the art of Hirai Minoru (who apparently was a master in his own right when he joined Ueshiba M.) should not. I of course have a vested interest in including the style of Kenji Tomiki however the Ueshiba M. family prefer to only include the style headed by and controled by them. Point being - drawing the line is really not simple and depends on where you sit.

Cheers

Peter R.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido