View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #28
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Steven Seagal's Impact on MMA?

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
"The approach between the two was actually a marketing maneuver planned by the agent of Anderson, Jorge Joinha, to give more visibility to it's champion in the American media. The plan worked very well in the first stage, the problem was in the wrong dose and reached the absurdity of assigning a brilliant victory by the biggest name in the MMA of all time to a "Master of Hollywood" who never climbed in the ring.
The thing I don't get is how "the biggest name in MMA of all time" would need additional marketing by working with a guy few people in MMA take very seriously. If he's the biggest name of all time, he's about as marketable as it gets isn't he? Of course that doesn't mean he didn't want extra publicity anyway. That said, if he didn't want people to ascribe any credit to Segal, he probably shouldn't have shot a video of them working together...particularly considering Segal's "Hollywood" reputation.

Quote:
So, that's cleared that up. Segal didn't teach Anderson his fight-finishing kick (which, incidentally, Anderson used on Dan Henderson and Lee Murray and also featured in an instructional he produced TWO YEARS AGO).
This seems to have escaped the notice of Mr Segal himself who has given numerous interviews detailing his "pride" in Anderson's winning technique. He is either deluded or putting in the performance of his acting career.
Per the one interview I saw (in this thread) Segal makes no such claims of teaching him the front kick. He describes working on it with Silva. He may well have done little to nothing to help Silva for all I know, but if he believes he did, expressing pride seems pretty normal. I thought he was very clear that he believes he just helped out with his area of experience (Aikido), but maybe in other interviews he took too much credit.
...Interesting about the agent being for both, though...
Maybe Segal got used a little...turnabout is fair play no?

Last edited by mathewjgano : 05-02-2011 at 03:07 PM.