Thread: Aikido usage
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2001, 08:50 AM   #6
Axiom
Dojo: TC Aikido Center
Talking I've fallen- and I can get up!

Actually, I've used my ukemi probably 20 times in the last week. You see, I play ultimate frisbee at lunch, and in diving for the frisbee, leaping over otehr people who dove, and generally getting knocked down, my ukemi is becoming pretty damn good at high speed. And I'm amazed- I've been out of aikido for months now, and ukemi is still instinctive (I'm actually doing ballet, which I recommend everyone should do, not just because its fun, but because it increases awareness of your center a thousand fold). Even ukemi I had a hard time with in the dojo, I've done almost perfectly in real life(ie, the sideways fall from kaiten-nage).

As for using the combative aspects of aikido, I've only mostly used the wrist and arm locks when play fighting with my brother on the trampoline(any quick and linear movement being impossible, these are the only techniques I can do on such a bouncy surface)They're very safe, compared to some others I've see, and neither of us has suffered any real injury from them. Though I probably shouldn't have taught him nikkyo...Ouch :-)...little bugger shouldn't be allowed to turn the tables on me.

Anyway, thats the extent of my "real world experience". The best way to go through life is to not get in serious fights. Its worked for me for about 17 years, and hopefully for the next 17 or so.

Alex "I wish I had enough money for aikido and ballet and I'm still taking donations" Magidow

_________
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
-- Gandhi