Thread: appearances
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003, 03:02 PM   #33
paw
Peter,

et tu?

Opher,

As I posted earlier I regret using the k-word. Forget I ever said it. Instead, I should have used Thronton's language, which would be introduction stage.

If you still don't understand, the only thing I can do is let Thornton speak for himself.

Namely:
Quote:
In anticipation of the various questions that will follow, let me re-post a previous section on what we call, for lack of a better word, 'I' method.

As an example, I will use a footlock (achilles lock). But you could use any *thing* or any combination of *things*

Step #1 = INTRODUCTION:

All the fine points of the basic footlock are taught. Grip, position, and WHY it works. The WHY is important. Again we want to teach people to think for

themselves. So teaching an athlete why a joint must be immobilized first, prior to

breaking it, explains the position first principle. Why you pinch your knees

together. Why you are on your side and never on your butt, etc.

This should take anywhere from 10-15 minutes, per position.

--- from Matt Thornton
There is no resistance in this stage it is completely cooperative and therefore, timing is skewed so much so that this isn't an effective use of time to worry about timing issues.

In case you are wondering, there are two following stages that Thornton then progresses to, where timing would be a worthwhile topic of study. If you think it helpful, I'll add them.

Regards,

Paul