View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #21
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Re: Training when you can't train (injured newbie)?

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
I like what Mary said.

If Rainy was injured and you could not ride him, you would want to wait untill he was completely healed before trying to ride him again. I would suggest to treat yourself with the same love and compassion as you would for Rainy.
Thanks. That's a good analogy. No worries - that's why I've been working so closely with a Doc & PT right from the start, and going so slowly. Rushing only makes healing take longer.

There is a point (with horse injuries), where walking in-hand is called for, and then riding at the walk, and then walking uphill, etc. That's where I'm starting to get to. Not to cantering over jumps yet.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
My thirteen year old daughter started riding lessons two weeks ago. Being at the stables and around horses again has brought many forgotten memories. Last night the stable held a mini horse clinic on how to harness and show them. I got to ride and drive with my daughter in a cart.

David
What fun! Aikido and horsemanship have so much in common. You and she might enjoy reading (if you haven't already) "Horsemanship Through Life" by Mark Rashid. Mark, and that book, are what brought me to Aikido.

Cheers,
Linda

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba