View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #130
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Strength vs Ki.

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
Graham, I haven't commented on the Tohei video you posted because I don't have much that's useful to say. What I see in it is a lot of bouncy-bouncy external movement. That may be expressive of a certain use of ki and connection for all I know, but it has nothing to do with the kind of connection I'm working on right now. Contrast it with the vid of Numata Sensei I posted (picking on him just to keep away from any IS/IP controversy). What I see there is connection and power delivered through a relaxed structure so easily that there's no need for a lot of external movement. *That's* what I'm going for. So it's a different path.

I have to say in response to Janet, just to rant for a bit, that I'm very tired of schools which say "Oh, we have all that aiki in our basic exercises, it's just that no one does them right." I bought that once, but now I've experienced one system that trains the internals directly--you can't help but practice the right internals unless you're wearing your iPod to class. And another system which doesn't talk the internals at all (so far in my experience) but locks the body movements in in such a way that if you do the exercises at all, you can't help but practice the right internals.

So I say, if you have a bunch of students all of whom are doing the exercises without knowing why or moving with the right internals, your system has failed. Not the students, not even the teachers--the system. This stuff does not have to be so flipping esoteric. And I'd suggest, respectfully, exploring some of the options and see what's worth importing into your style.
Hugh. You are right, you don't know what Tohei is doing and so you see it as you describe.

The specific vid you mention, where exactly is it? I have seen the William Gleason videos and have commented on them, positive I might add.

You are also right in saying this stuff doesn't have to be so flippin esoteric. It doesn't HAVE to be. However mine IS.

Now saying if internals are missing then my system has failed is like me saying if your system doesn't relate the principles spiritually to universal love, loving protection etc. then yours has failed. A silly statement.

I see principles involved in William Gleasons videos and how he's applying them and if his students are loving it and learning and progressing then that's great by me. I also see principles of what I do not in them but for me to say he should explore such and incorporate them into his would be a bit arrogant on my part and totally unnecessary.

Now I'm not saying I cannot learn something from any other system which add to or benefit my own but that's so obvious it doesn't need saying or indeed mean telling others they need this or that.

It's simple really. A biologist may find the answer he is looking for when watching a programme on physics and thus improve his understanding in his field.

Regards.G..