View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #225
DH
United_States
Re: Ki-Aikido or Taiji - effectiveness in developing Qi?

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
Judo throws only work when you get someone to move in an aggressive way, just like aikido throws. You can't throw a guy who stands there and keeps his balance. I don't care what art you are in. Sure you could muscle the guy off his feet or something, but you can't actually throw. The nature of the throws requires someone to be moving in a way that lends its self to the throw. You can't just grab, pull, throw against a guy who is actively resisting you. You have to convince them to move the right way and attack. Once they attack they open themselves up for the throw. If they were not attacking why would you need to throw them anyways?

Judo is perfect for what it was ment for, launching an aggressor in the clinch range to the ground. If your not attacking me, there is no reason to clinch. It would be easier to punch you in the face.
Hmm...
Trying to throw an aggressive attacker is all the same to you then?
Every man moves the same? Every man who try's to throw you "opens himself up" for an attack in the same way? All men's balance is the same?

The nature of the throws requires someone to be moving in a way that lends its self to the throw.
And there it is..........
I suggest to you that there are men who don't move or feel quite the way you think everyone else does, nor do they retain their balance the same way. The real key here is "most think that's B.S." That's it.
That all men just have varying degrees of better "conventional" balance. Add to that istheir judo skills.
And not there is a better way to have structure and retain it that is different than what they know.
Of course trying a "judo" throw on some may be a hell of a lot harder then others. But sometimes it's due to skill in Judo, sometimes due to better structure. But why not go for both.

If you read Harrison's book of Judo in Japan in the 30's.
Several of the top flight Judo men were aware of this type of training and that most didn't do it. As one Judoka stated "When Mr. So and so used those skills he could not be thrown."
Those "skills" and how to train them- came from an Aikijujutsu guy. Harrison's book is "the fighting spirit of Japan."

As for standing outside and punching or kicking. Well that's anther topic all together-MMA the great equalizer; grappling and Striking combined. I'd suggest grappling, striking, cardio and internal training. But if I could have only one, it would be Internal skills.

Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 04-05-2007 at 09:20 AM.