View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #48
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Aikijujutsu

Budd wrote:

Quote:
Here's where I am going to take some issue regarding the "need" for IS to be simplified and made piecemeal for folks to pick and choose what parts they will incorporate.
I'm simply saying that if you have the feedback mechanisms and measures correct and the methodology supports it, then you can develop appropriate responses.

These days I believe that a balanced approach that is not extreme in any one area is best. Again, provided that the correct feedback mechanisms and methods are in place.

I don't see it so much as picking and choosing if you stay true to our feedback mechanisms and methods. That is, you don't change them or shift them.

Once you have that, I think, on a personal basis, you can pick and choose to a degree. You can become adaptive as things don't work for you and other things do. Of course, you have to give it time in some cases. Somethings you may set aside until you have time, other things you may discard all together.

It may be simply that our goals are different. I have constructed feedback mechanisms and have adopted methodologies that I have found to support them. My feedback mechanisms and measures require that a certain level of martial proficiency is demonstrable and replicable under the proper measures and conditions. If a particular methodology can't deliver that, then I am apt to sit it aside.

Now it may be that I am simply dense and can't understand it. I've had those Aha! moments later for sure.

I'm not saying IS training needs to be simplified in one sense. Who I am to say that. But I am saying that I think that you can adapt certain things you find effective and responsive.

Again, I think it depends on your strategy, paradigms, and goals. My architecture and situation dictates that I spend time doing certain things, while prioritizing other things at a lower priority for any number of reasons.

It has nothing really to do with the validity of training. It could be due to different skill levels, access to the right people, or simply lack of interest. However, the driving force behind it all should be the criteria you define for yourself at this point in our martial careers.

I think all of us here are way past "do it because Sensei told you to."

Budd, I know you are! I think it boils down to simply differences in approaches. Too much time is wasted saying I'm right and your wrong. (Not saying this is what you are saying Budd!).

What is great I think is that we can get together, train and take away something productive. We can do this cause we both have established frameworks that allow us to make decisions.

This is all I a really saying. basically having an open source type architecture. Does this make sense?