View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #43
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia
Re: HELP! I'm being bullied in the dojo!

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
It seems like everyone can take me down just fine once sensei reminds them to use more weight underside. I keep trying to tell this student this but I think it just makes him worse, as I'm below him in rank.

I'm been at it for 7 months and have passed two tests, my second one with a total of less than 6 months in. Right now I'm at 4th kyu, preparing for 3rd.

Thank you so much for the advice! I appreciate the time taken to comment.
You know aikido and ukemi are two sides of the same coin, resisting to failure of nage's technique doesn't always make friends and can deprive you of an opportunity to learn the second half of the art in kata form. I'm not saying resisting isn't appropriate in training, but needs to be tempered so the the nage-uke dynamic is productive experience for both. YMMV and it perhaps it has.

FWIW when I encounter just an uke who resists to failure all the time, such that the practice becomes unproductive, I just become uke for the rest of the session and work on my ukemi instead, so at least I can learn something and the time isn't wasted.

best,
dan

PS Have you considered that you may appear to be the bully and this is a way for the 'protagonist' to deal with it?

Last edited by danj : 02-14-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added a PS on reflection