View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #101
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Regrading grabs in Aikido...

Why don't we all just try and move forward with the topic or at least just opt to end the discussion over who was insulting and/or insulted. It seems to be taking over the thread when it was really nothing more than a difference of opinion - something so small, as Tarik pointed out. Nothing here was ever a big deal, so maybe we'd all be better off if we stop trying to make things into one??? I think it would be a lot easier, take less effort on everyone's part, to just let things go by - like the little things they are/were. :-)

For me, not everyone's Aikido has to be the same thing. For me, this has to remain a valid point of view, even when contrasting opinions are coming into contact with each other. In the end, though we are in the midst of discussion, we should realize that we do not all have to be doing the same thing. We should be comfortable with our own approach, not needing others to do what we do, think what we think, and/or speak how we speak. I'm fine sharing my ideas with others, but I would never want anyone to think that I'm teaching them by doing so. For me, a lot more goes into teaching than just sharing some ideas. In this forum, if my ideas ever come to make some reflect and/or think a bit differently, for me, that is all them - it's all about how they went on to think about and practice their Aikido. It has nothing to do with me at all.

If for some reason, someone in this thread felt I was out to be anyone's teacher and/or to make their Aikido look like mine, and/to uphold my Aikido as the only legitimate Aikido - let me say here that none of these things were ever of my intention. I will say here that I am "sensei" only to my students - that I am not sensei to anyone on these boards (which is the main reason why I ask folks here to always call me "Dave"); that I appreciate that everyone's Aikido looks different (that I don't believe in "Aikido" only "Aikidos"); and that my Aikido is definitely open to claims of being illegitimate, depending upon a given point of view.

All can be good if we but let it - my opinion.

Thanks for letting me opine one more time,
dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.