View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Freeform Bokken Drills to Develop Aiki Flow

Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
What you say is very interesting. Perhaps we are preconditioned about what is "swordy". My training partner in this video is a senior instructor in Kum Do (Korean Sword). He loved the drill.
<snip>
Sword, Spear, Staff, its mostly the same.
Number one thing I'd criticize (and I see this in 99% of the vids where any kind of weapons work take place) is that the hands move independent of the body.

Before any work can be done on the "kewl" aspects of kuzushi, angles etc etc, you gottta have a connected body that's developed for weapons work. Angier, Okamoto and any other dude with skill definitely has this, on top of other stuff when they do other "tricks."

Bottom line?
Neither guys in the vid have physically connected/unified bodies.

Figure out what needs to be conditioned in the body, how it needs to be conditioned, work on it for a couple of years, then you might see some change in the way this "exercise" would be approached.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I could do some "kewl" demos where I just stand there, and you come at me with whatever sticking/trapping/entering techs and I'd be able to stuff it without moving much. (I think Kent knows what I'm talking about )