View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 05:41 PM   #21
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: griptape on bokken

I didn't say it made any sense. The Penal Code deftinition of billy club is pretty broad. The traditional police hardwood baton is illegal for civilians to possess, but a hardwood "stick" of similar dimensions remains a hardwood stick unless a lanyard is tied to it or the grip is carved or taped. Then it becomes a billy club. The context of possession means something too. For example, truck drivers frequently use a short club that looks like a scaled-down baseball bat to check the inflation on their tires. In their truck, it is a "tire checker" and legal. In their pick-up, it is a billy club.

Many of the martial arts implements are illegal here, but yet may be possessed in a dojo or to and from the dojo. Remarkably, there is no exemption for possession in the home. How do you get it to and from the dojo? Nunchukyu are a perfect example of this paradox.

As I said, California is a strange place in many ways. We currently have a legislator who is working diligently on a new state law to force movie theaters to announce the starting times of the actual movies and the starting times of the previews. I can only imagine what a major problem this has been to cause concern by our legislature. I'm starting to think our Governator is right in his idea that we should have a part-time legislature.

I seriously doubt that an aikidoka would run afoul of the law with simple grip tape, but I would caution against carrying a taped bokken on an airline flight. The TSA people might get concerned and then refer the matter to the locals who might feel like they had to do something.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."