View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #41
Dan Austin
United_States
Re: Taiji Motion study

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
The contention seems to be that it cannot be understood in western terms and this I deny without qualification.
Physics is always valid, but to really understand something you have to be able to teach it, and I don't think you can teach anyone to use the internal mechanics discussed by Dan, Mike, and Rob precisely because you don't know how to do them. You can analyze the physics of the Fosbury Flop from a video, but that doesn't make you a track and field coach or allow you to give one iota of useful advice on how to do it properly. The gentlemen whose discussions you inject yourself into claim that the mechanics are far harder to understand in the kinesthetic sense than a track event, and enough people have met them and confirmed the difficulty of learning it firsthand with repeated instruction. Your physics rants are useless and silly.

Quote:
It has not been understood in western terms and this needs to be remedied.
As I've said before, once you actually LEARN this skill, then combining it with a purely Western explanation would be wonderful. Pigs will fly first - with sufficient angular momentum of course.