Thread: "Martial" Art
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2004, 11:23 AM   #30
James Giles
Dojo: North Florida Aikikai
United_States
In response to David Clark,I think I know what you are talking about. (Tohei ?) added skips or hops to his style of Aikido techniques to add momentum and to make up for the size and strength advantages of uke.

I haven't been practicing Aikido for that long, but I have noticed that the size and strength of uke don't really matter if the technique is applied properly. I've also learned that nage should not wait until uke actually gets a firm grip(grab) on him/her. If nage hesitates long enough to get "caught", it is too late for the technique alone to work. Timing is the key, and that is why it takes practice. Properly timed, the techniques of Aikido can be used effectively against any attack with devastating results.

When I mentioned ego earlier, the point I was trying to make was that most practicioners of Aikido are confident in themselves and their abilities, and do not feel the need to go out and prove to the world (i.e. other martial arts forums, etc.) that they can handle a street fight, or that Aikido is any better than such and such other martial art (BJJ for example). They are at peace within themselves and this is true victory.