View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 04:59 AM   #164
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote: View Post
Would somebody like to explain to me exactly what is "immodest" about the way we touch each other while doing Aikido?

I am wrapped up in my underwear, a big T-shirt, gi bottoms, gi jacket, belt and hakama. These clothes are more substantial than what I wear to go to work!

People grab my wrists, and occasionally an elbow or shoulder. These parts of my body sometimes bump into other folk on a crowded street and it doesn't bother me or them.

My arms get grabbed and twisted into assorted locks and pins during the course of a technique. I'd never consider my arms to be a particularly private part of my body - they are what I use to work, shop, drive - people see them all the time, and both men and women have arms.

So come on, explain why any of the above is compromising my modesty?
It's not about understanding. It's about faith. Whatever fall into this cathegory is a different thing altogether. You can argue ad infinitum, if someone has faith you will not change it. No matter what.

It's not about why my friend is in a wheelchair. It's about he IS. You can argue ad infinitum, if someone is handicapped you will not change it. No matter what.

And I'm not necesarily saying that faith constitutes a handicap, but rather some restrictions.